Sunday, November 1, 2009

Relient K and the Teenage Christian Lesbian


So, this is an amazing little thing I found while looking for icons for my inspiration album for the month, "Forget and Not Slow Down", by Relient K. Though I've been a Relient K fan for around a year now, I've recently fallen in love with them all over again when I came across their wonderful new album in a Christian bookstore. It was a pleasant suprise that this album was even more Christian than the past few, without being preachy and obnoxious, as some can be, honestly.
The title song, "Forget and Not Slow Down"(lyrics in the graphic above), pretty much sums up what I want to be right now. I've been pretty self-pitying the past couple days. Who am I kidding? I've been a total bitch the past three weeks.
I'm sorry. I love you all. I'll do better. I promise you.
Because honestly, you all deserve medals for perseverence & patience for putting up with all of my ridiculousness.
Anyway... This song is mostly talking about putting the past behind you, and new beginnings.
No matter who I was in the past- a mean person, massive depressive, a self-injurer, manipulative, submissive and permissive in relationships, and all around negative- that doesn't mean that I have to be that person for the rest of my life. I'm allowed to change. Just because I'm a teenage Christian lesbian doesn't mean that I'm bad- just different. And you know, I'm pretty sure God still loves me. 'Cause, you know, that would be pretty hypocritical for him not to be.
On the subject of Teenage Christian Lesbians... Am I the only one? I wonder sometimes, how many other lesbians manage to keep the faith going. Are there support groups? "Christian Lesbians Anonymous"? "Dykes for Christ"? "I kissed a girl, and Jesus loves me anyway."?
If you're out there, reading this, I've got to say, you've kept rather quiet, darlings.

PS: Just thought I should add, in case she's reading this... Things have changed a little. I understand that I've stayed exactly the same, which probably isn't a good thing for you.
I just want you to know... My offer still stands.
I don't want to be the man in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment