Sunday, November 22, 2009

Corinthians 6:9-11

So... I thought I'd do something new, for once, and try my hand at the whole "Being a teenage Christian lesbian" thing. Here goes.
People(and by people, I mean one or two) have been recently asking me how I can be Christian and lesbian in conjunction, when they seem to be so adamantly against each other.
Well, I wanted to look at the verses more specifically, and on an individual basis to explain my views on the subject. I personally use a Christian Standard Bible, so that's what I'm quoting.
9 Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit God's kingdom? Do not be deceived: no sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals, 10 thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers,  or swindlers  will inherit God's kingdom. 11 Some of you were like this; but you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
This verse is quoted all the time in reference to homosexuality. They want to focus on the word homosexuals, not the entire text, but the text as a whole is crucial here.
"Sexually immoral people", which do include homosexuals, according to study, also include having sex during menstruation and having sex with temple whores to worship fertility goddesses. Okay, so maybe not everyone does that. Idolators- well, not everyone worships idols. Not everyone is an adulterer or a male prostitute. "Thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, or swindlers" will not inherit either. Oh dear. I guess none of us will inherit the kingdom of heaven. I don't know a single person on earth who has never been greedy or been a little sneaky about something, even if it wasn't malicious. Poor Catholics. Drunkards? They drink in church, for goodness' sake! Now, "revilers" was a word I had to look up. According to the dictionary, a reviler is someone who curses. Now, people will turn it off for church, but I know for a fact that half the people in church on Sunday have a dirty mouth Monday through Saturday.
Yes, I'm a homosexual. I'll admit to being a bit greedy sometimes. I try hard not to curse, but I occasionally slip up and I am known for being a bit sneaky.
Towards the end of the verse, it talks about being saved by Jesus Christ. If you've ever been a church, you've heard them say that God will forgive you for your sins if you ask him. To ask for forgiveness, you have to be willing to change. I don't think that my lesbianism is something really changeable, so I open every prayer with these words:
Hey God. I'm still a lesbian. I know you hate me right now, but I'm sorry, and I hope you'll still love me and listen to the rest of what I have to say.
Yep. Inadequate and way too much to ask, but I get the feeling that they still love me up there, especially when they tell me things like this:

1 comment:

  1. God is for everyone. I like how you did some in-depth research on this, instead of just "rawr rawr rawr I can has God too!"

    Very nicely done, and if God can love me[the cussing, sneaky, greedy, low-life that I am] Then he most certainly loves you

    And remember, John 3:16--For God so loved THE WORLD

    ReplyDelete