Thursday, November 19, 2009

Out of Place

The more I read about it, the more I truly wish I had been born around 1840. Yes, yes, I know- women had little to no rights, restrictive regulations about society, no technology, no real schooling, bedbugs, fatal diseases, ect.
However, I long for the days when bigger women (yes, me...) were considered beautiful, where pale skinned creatures were envied, where everybody wrote in beautiful, loopy cursive and listened to the same types of music and spoke eloquently. I wish that embroidery and sewing were a widely-used skill, and that normal women wore corsets and bustle skirts, boots and capes every day. I would miss my makeup, Relient K and indoor plumbing, but to live in a society like that of Fingersmith or Tipping the Velvet- it would be worth it.
Plus- and I know this seems ridiculous to wish for, in the great age of homosexual acceptance and whatnot- "Romantic friendship" between women was really common: AND ACCEPTED. Basically- you could marry, and hate your husband, and have a lady friend on the side to be close with. All the benefits of ordinary marriage and all the fun of a girl in bed. ;)
Okay, I know, fantasy world. But I suppose I've always been a romantic.
Woman Seeking Woman: Hopeless romantic seeks brainy femme who won't make fun of her for wearing corsets, will put up with obnoxiously heavy breathing and a high, feminine voice and compromise on vacation locations. Loves lesbian films, high heeled shoes, blogging, staying up far past her bedtime on the phone and waltzing to completely inappropriate music. If you like Italian food and cuddling on the sofa, please contact to meet a girl who will never forget your birthday and will never break your heart.

2 comments:

  1. I've always figured myself to have been unlucky enough to have missed the swing era. No worries, though, I'm rather happy to have met you in this time period ^_^

    ReplyDelete