Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Throughout the Years: First (and Second) Grade(s)

First grade was interesting. This was the year I became homeschooled, so this was also kind of a two-pronged year.

PUBLIC SCHOOL:
I really did not like my teacher. Once, I forgot to raise my hand in class, and she made me write "I need more attention at home." a hundred times on that big-lined first grade paper, and take it home to my parents.
However, as I mentioned before, I was a smart kid. But my parents wanted to keep me in regular classes. The school's solution was to take me out of "specials" every day to put me in the Gifted program- a program for fifth graders. So every day, I dutifully missed library or music or art, and went and wrote research papers... for awhile, anyway. My parents did eventually complain, and the school's solution was to move my Gifted time to a private class, a half-hour before school. They did not inform my parents of this. Needless to say, I was late almost every day. I spent most of the three months I was in that class making a calendar, with different drawings for each month... They were really elaborate, and I worked really hard. Finally, on the front of the calendar, the teacher told me to write each month. (I would like to say that she never helped me with my projects.) I misspelled "February". I spelled it "F-e-b-u-r-a-r-y". She proceded to throw the entire calendar in the trash. Because I misspelled one word. So my parents decided to homeschool me. Unfortunately for me, they pulled me out the day before Dr. Seuss day. For that day, my father and I had built a life-size replica of a robot in a Dr. Seuss hat. We called it the "Book Bot", and it contained all my Dr. Seuss books. I won the contest- but I didn't get a prize, because I was at home, being homeschooled.
HOMESCHOOLING:
I don't actually remember very much about this, aside from joining homeschool group, which sucked. None of the homeschooled kids liked me, and it was weird. Like, we studied the way math worked in music and things like that. I took the first and third grade school board assessment tests that year, and passed both. (For those who don't know, when you're homeschooled[or privately tutored, as I was by my mother who used to be a schoolteacher] you have to do different things to prove to the state you can read and such. One is to take a test in [I think] first, third and fifth grades.)
In first grade, I was reading at a high school level. I was seven, I think. That was the year I fell in love with the Babysitter's Club, Boxcar Children and anything by Ruth Chew. There were other books, so many I can't tell you titles, but those series were huge.
We tried lots of curriculums, but we ended up doing Abeka for most of my schooling years at home. We did switch to Saxon math after third grade, because there was less busywork.
Now, you'll notice that the title says First (and Second) Grade(s).
This is because I skipped the second grade. I went straight from first to third. However, since my birthday is Oct. 3rd, I missed the cutoff, and spent time behind. I'm not sure if it's all evened out or not, because for the beginning of my senior year, I was sixteen, but that's why I'm not doing an entry on the second grade.

A short note, for those who care about my drug intake(and for my own future referrence): I've been doing really well yesterday and today. Sunday sucked- I was very depressed and angry... but I guess the drugs have started to do something good, because my mood has lifted a lot, though it's obviously from the medicine. I suppose the only way to describe it is that I feel a bit fuzzy- like those Claritin commercials, where the blurry strip is covering the picture. I feel good, but a little fuzzy. I'm also very tired.

4 comments:

  1. Not that I am ignoring your initial entry...
    In fact, I love them.
    It's fun to read and learn more about you.

    However, the reason that I decided to comment is because of the last bit. The meds should take about 30 days to work through your system. If you still feel 'fuzzy' at your next appt, let them know. But, just keep in mind that these sort of things take [as I said] about 30 days to be completely in your system.

    I love you. Wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not worried. I love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's nuts they took you out of special. I don't know what the laws where then, but I work in a school an it's actually illegal for a kid to miss specials. What state was this in, if you don't mind me asking?

    And those tests? They are dreadful... public school and private school kids do them too. I know that in New York the kids take them in every grade for math, science, and reading... but only 1st, 3rd, and 5th grade are the big ones. I believe they determine if you get held back or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Gifted was considered a special, I suppose. At that time, we were living in Pennsylvania.
    Really? I thought the tests were amazingly fun, actually. I was a proper little geek. My mom always packed me a really good lunch, and there was something satisfying about filling in bubbles. We also had to go to an interview with a man, who asked me to read to him, and he reviewed my work.

    ReplyDelete