Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Standardized Testing

If I ruled the world, there would be no "standardized testing". Actually, there would be no testing. Everything would be intrinsically motivated- learning because we're interested. No reward except that of knowing we did well. And grades would be based on the kindness and community spirit of individuals.
Alas, this is not the world. We are forced to study for finals, AP tests, IB(?) tests, SATs, ACTs, Accuplacers, Math Placement Exams, and that's only the US versions. Why do we as a country place so much value on scores? Credit scores, IQ scores, test scores, game scores- even the number of women we've taken to our beds (which for those of you still wondering, has only been one for me, and she had most of her clothes still on).
Well, I for one, quit. I am through basing my self worth on a bunch of meaningless numbers that have nothing to do with my true person at all. Join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment