Sunday, July 11, 2010

"The Cost Of Hiding" -Joy Miller

She's such a funny little thing
at least that's exactly what she wants you to believe
just like a bird, she's on the wing
she never stops, can't let no grass grow under
that's when she hurts the least
she ain't stood still a moment since the day she knows she died
now she's no longer she because she never even cried
for what she lost-
Guess that's the cost of hiding.

She wears such a lovely disguise
thinks she can hide behind her pretty painted smile
she'll never look you in the eyes
afraid that if she does you'll see right through her and undo her
and then you'll think she's weak
she ain't got close to no one since a time long out of mind
she'll open up to none because she's afraid of what they'll find
beneath the gloss
but that's the cost of hiding.

Why must we act like nothing's wrong when our spirits are in shreds?
And ignore the raging war in our hearts and in our heads?
We close our eyes.
and intellectualize.
We say forgive, forget, move on, 'cause that's what good people do.
Never mind that the wounds inside of you, will be infected soon.
That's just the cost of hiding.

She's such a mighty, mighty, mighty, mighty woman,
since she turned and stared her anger in the face
knocked it down and said enough.
I am through with playing tough.
I was just a little girl...
and it's not alright.
But my restoration's worth the fight.
I must bring this pain into the light...
There will be no more hiding.

2 comments:

  1. this is beautiful and describes just what so many of us are going through. I don't know you, but I want to give you a hug. I hope you're doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't updated in a long time... But I am, in fact, doing okay. :)

    ReplyDelete